1.What does the author say about speech?
A. It is the only true form of communication
B. It is dependent upon the advances made by inventors
C. It is necessary for communication to occur
D. It is the most advanced form of communication
2. The phrase impinge upon in paragraph 1 is closest in meaning to
A. Intrude B. improve C. Vary D. Prohibit
3. The word it in paragraph 1 refers to
4. The word potential in paragraph 1 could best be replaced by
A. range C. organization
B. advantage D. possibility
5. The word intricate in paragraph 2 could be best replaced by which of the following?
A. inefficient B. complicated C. Historical D. uncertain
6. Applauding was cited as an example of
A. a signal B. a sign C. a symbol D. a gesture
7. Why were the telephone, radio, and TV invented?
A. People were unable to understand signs, symbols, and signals
B. People wanted to communicate across long distance
C. People believed that signs, signals, and symbols were obsolete
D. People wanted new forms of entertainment
8. Which of the following would be the best title for the passage?
A. Signs and Signals